Tuesday, June 28, 2011

One Pair at a Time


Inspired by the above photo, I’ve decided that my next charity effort will be on behalf of Soles4Souls, a Nashville-based charity that collects new and gently used shoes from footwear companies and individuals like you and I, and distributes them to people in need in over 127 countries, including the United States. Since 2005, Soles4Souls has given away over 14 million pairs of new and gently worn shoes (currently donating one pair every 7 seconds.)

You can get involved by donating shoes at any of their participating locations, hosting a shoe drive in your community, or making a monetary donation. For every $1 you donate, Soles4Souls can provide one additional pair of shoes to someone in need. $20 provides 20 pairs of shoes!

I’ve drafted the email I’ll be sending my family and friends, and will be sending it out after the upcoming holiday weekend to ensure it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle. As with the diaper drive, I’ll post a photo with a quick little update letting you guys know if my efforts were fruitful. As I look at the above picture, I thank God for my many blessings, not least of which is shoes, and hope that this small act helps to express that gratitude.

So, clean out your closet, and have more than one reason to feel good about it. Your contribution could be providing someone their first ever pair of shoes; a humbling thought.