Monday, April 2, 2012

Proust Questionnaire

The Proust Questionnaire is a questionnaire intended to reveal one's innermost thoughts. Its name is owed to the responses given by the French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair regularly publishes a similar questionnaire on the back page of the magazine with the questions answered by varying celebrities.

Most months I read the Vanity Fair questionnaire online and just love the wide spectrum of answers you'll get from one participant to the next. They are at times insightful, surprisingly candid, and hilarious. For example, while I love and I'm inspired by Ray Charles' response to the question, What is your motto? "God helps those who help themselves." Matt Damon's response to the same question, "Don't be a d-bag" is a close second in my book.

So, here is my Proust Questionnaire. You can answer a questionnaire of your own or share with your friends and family and gain a little insight into their hearts and minds.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
To know you're loved

What is your greatest fear?
Alzheimer’s

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Mother Teresa

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My countless fears (heights, public speaking, social functions, roller coasters, etc., etc.)

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Selfishness

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Patience

On what occasion do you lie?
To avoid hurting someone’s feelings

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
I’m OK with all of my flaws, though one less chin would be awfully nice

Which talent would you most like to have?
A beautiful singing voice

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Be braver

What is your most treasured possession?
My family

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Kindness (and height, what can I say, I like tall men)

What is it that you most dislike?
Mean people

How would you like to die?
From old age, with all my faculties, surrounded by those I love