Tuesday, May 8, 2012

This is Colossal

It seems like I’m always a day late and dollar short when it comes to the latest hot trends, whether it be fashion, technology or blogs, which brings me to my post. I recently found a great art and design blog, Colossal, which I had to share with each of you, though it's probably old news to most. I’m not an artist or designer, but I’m always awed by the God-given talent of individuals who can move and inspire through their gifts; through the beauty created with either the stroke of a brush, a chisel on marble, or the countless other mediums used to touch each one of us. For those of you previously in the dark like me, know that Colossal offers something to appeal to everyone’s taste:

Street Art
This beautiful piece is from Rome-based visual artist Alice Pasquini.

Sculpture
This is a sculpture made of wire mesh by Korean sculptor Seung Mo Park. To better grasp the skill and effort which goes into each piece, click on the link and view the YouTube video which shows him at work.

Photography
This beautiful macro photograph of a dew-soaked dandelion is from UK photographer Sharon Johnstone.

Watercolor
This is by far one of my favorite pieces to appear on the site. It’s a watercolor from self-taught Italian painter Silvia Pelissero aka Agnes-Cecile. Self-taught! Can you believe it! The painting is so ethereal it truly touches me with its haunting beauty. Clck on the link to view a YouTube video clip of Agnes-Cecile at work.

Lastly, if you doubted art could come in any form, just check out this wall installation by Baptiste Debombourg that utilizes nearly a half million metal staples tacked to a wall. It was inspired by drawings from 16th century engravers Hendrick Goltzius, Jan Harmensz, Cherubino Alberti and took 340 hours to complete.
Visit Colossal for a touch of beauty to brighten your day; it's a true feast for your eyes and soul and sure to both humble and inspire you..