Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Let's Schmooze!

For those first time visitors, no I'm not Jewish despite the Yiddish in the post title, it's just a lame attempt at wit. I must admit I like the word, though not as much as verklempt, a favorite, or meshugener. Yes, though there are undoubtedly millions of Hispanic Jews, with a name like Maria Magdalena aka Mary Magdalene, you'd be right in guessing it a pretty sure bet that a) I'm Catholic, b) a Catholic was involved in my procreation and/or naming, or c) both of the above. Ding, ding, ding, if you guessed c).

I've gotten completely sidetracked. Anyway, I just wanted to catch up and commiserate on life. As you've probably guessed from the countless book reviews I've posted, I've been reading a lot. I've managed it by trading in one addiction, television, for another, reading. It seems I can't do anything in moderation, which probably explains the 20 pounds I'm trying to lose. Prior to the summer hiatus, the only show I was watching was The Voice; now it's America's Got Talent. Thanks to NBC though, I think I know what I’ll be doing on Tuesday nights for the foreseeable future after watching this emotional trailer for their new dramedy, This Is Us, starring Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia. It’s hard to gauge from just a two minute clip, but it looks like a winner. Like holding a mirror up to life; in that brief snapshot it offers a reflection of the happiness, sadness, anger, fear, and joy that can be found in one simple life.



I'll wait while you watch. Looks great doesn't it? As further proof of my total lack of moderation skills or a slight case of masochism, this weekend I went to see Me Before You, and as if one movie about untimely death wasn't enough, I followed it up with an On Demand order of The Farewell Party, a Hebrew film with English subtitles that deals with euthanasia. I loved both, but surprisingly would give a slight edge to the latter. I'll be posting a review of each shortly.

What else? Well, summer is almost here. Nooooooo! In case you were unaware, I hate summer. During this season I avoid the outdoors like the plague, fully aware of the consequences otherwise, namely my armpit sweat rings spread like creeping fungus, the humidity makes my hair look like the afro I sported in middle school or like I’m freaking Mufasa from the Lion King, and my cheeks normally rosy due to either a mild case of rosacea or all the years of excessive blushing, turn a violent red like I’m ready to explode. Not my best look, for sure. Nonetheless, it’ll be nice to have some time off. While I won’t be traveling anywhere, I do plan on one or two short staycations. Maybe take a trip into the city, see a show.

Thanks for the schmooze and for those family and friends that still indulge my flights of fancy and actually read this blog, if we don’t see each other soon, have a great summer! For some reason completely unbeknownst to me, I’ve really been enjoying writing lately, so I’ll keep posting about all my recent books, movies, adventures and thoughts. Don’t be a stranger, stop by and visit.