Monday, August 29, 2011

Searching for a Cure

Sorry for the posting hiatus, but I've been battling a severe bout of the lazies. Summer tends to do that to me. I guess that's why they call them the lazy days of summer. I was searching for a cure without much hope, until this weekend's potent dose of stress and anxiety in the form of Hurricane Irene came around, and sure enough it snapped me out of my summer duldrums.

What did I do during my absence, you might ask. In all honesty, not much. This is how severe the bout of lazies got, I didn't even read a book, heck I didn't even crack a magazine cover. I did visit Washington DC (my first time), and did tons of sightseeing while there. The sights were lovely, but it was disconcerting to see such beautiful monuments, only to superimpose the reality of those less fortunate who make the DC streets their home. Here's a perfect example of what I'm referring to. On day two of our visit, as we were making our way to the Air & Space Museum, we were commenting on the pristine condition of the city, amazed that such a big city could be so clean. As we were speaking, we just happened to pass a small monument at which there was a gentleman cleaning. My sister-in-law said, well that's how they keep it so wonderful, look that man is cleaning the monument. To which my brother piped in, no, he's not cleaning the monument, he's doing his laundry. Sad, but true. The poor man had a plastic water container next to him, and was scrubbing his clothes. It wasn't surprising to see, because after all need is everywhere. You can see it on the DC streets, as easily as you see it on NYC streets, as easily as I see it on the faces of the families that come to the food pantry where I volunteer. I wasn't surprised by it, just saddened by it.

Anyway, sorry to be a Debbie Downer and to deviate from the subject at hand. Summer wasn't all fun, I did have to work, but in addition to the DC trip, I tagged along with my brother and the knuckleheads and did a bunch of weekend day trips. We went to Lake Compounce, an amusement/water park in Connecticut, went to see a soccer game between Manchester United vs. FC Barcelona during their U.S. tour, visited Mohegan Sun to catch the Bellator MMA (mixed martial art) championships, went go-kart racing (another first), and caught a couple of movies, "Bad Teacher" (Cameron Diaz's character had not one redeeming feature to make an audience care what happened to her; do yourself a favor and skip this one) and "Hangover 2" (a carbon copy of the first movie - both in premise and scenes; skip this one and instead see "Bridesmaids").

That's the long and short of it. I'm so glad Summer is almost over. I'm eagerly anticipating Fall and everything that comes with it, including cool, crisp days, brightly colored leaves on trees, apple picking, soft, baggy sweatshirts, and chilly nights that call for opening the bedroom window and snuggling under the covers. Ahh! Can't wait.