Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Resurrection

I can't wait for Resurrection, a new mid-season show set to air on ABC. It was equal parts love and intrigue when I came across the trailer some time ago. Every aspect of the trailer was perfect, from the dreamy and ethereal music to the story's premise and the possible themes of spirituality.

Given it's originality I was curious about the possibility of the show being based on a book, and lo and behold, I was right, it's based on "The Returned" by Jason Mott. I did read the book and will post a review in the days to come, so I am very curious to see how true to the book they stay; though I've already noted a couple discrepancies in the trailer alone. I must say that while the book was an enjoyable read, I felt like there were themes and paths left unexplored, and I think the story could benefit from the dramatic license employed by most television networks, as well as the compelling portrayals sure to come from this talented cast of actors. Let me say that having read the book, the selection of Kurtwood Smith (aka Red Forman) as the father is some genius casting. Looking forward to what will undoubtedly become appointment television for me.