Tuesday, January 14, 2014

One to Watch: Believe

NBC seems to be on the upswing this 2013/2014 TV season; with an epic homerun in September with freshman series The Blacklist and I think if not a homerun maybe a double or triple in this new midseason show Believe, which merits a watch if for no other reason than that it’s produced by the brilliant minds of J.J. Abrams and Alfonso CuarĂ³n, the director of 2013’s blockbuster Gravity.

Believe follows Bo, a young girl with special powers and Tate, the ex-convict sent to protect her, as they run from sinister forces after Bo’s power. “Tate and Bo begin their journey, one in which trust must be earned. Traveling from city to city, every place they stop and everyone they meet will be changed forever.”



I know I’m dating myself but the preview trailer puts me in mind of the 1984 Drew Barrymore sci-fi movie Firestarter, in which she had pyrokinesis (the ability to start fires at will) and a secret government agency was after her in an effort to try and control her powers and use them as a weapon. (There’s always a sketchy government agency involved in these things.) The “traveling from city to city” bit from NBC’s show description reminds me of Bill Bixby’s The Incredible Hulk; I can almost hear that hauntingly sad theme song now.

By the way, another midseason show I was looking forward to and which I posted about, Resurrection, has a scheduled premiere date on ABC of Sunday, March 9 at 9/8c. I'll definitely be tuning in for Resurrection and based on the trailer will also give Believe a try; two shows is about the max of what I'm willing to add to my TV viewing schedule.

If you're interested in the balance of the new Winter TV show lineup, then visit TVGuide.com's Winter Preview page; it provides descriptions of all new shows and even offers sneak peek trailers.