Monday, March 28, 2016

Why Not Me?

I recently enjoyed Mindy Kaling’s funny, charming and downright great new book, Why Not Me? The book is a collection of essays on a variety of topics; from glamour, to writing, to relationships. While I’ve loved Kaling since her 'The Office' days, it wasn’t until this book that she reached celebrity BFF status.

Mindy’s wit, humor and bubbly personality practically jump off the page and will without a doubt make you a Kaling fan and fellow BFF wannabe by the time you reach its last page. Her countless pearls of wisdom had me either laughing out loud, nodding my head in agreement or doing a combination of the two. Here’s one little nugget of truth: “Though I am a generally happy person who feels comfortable in my skin, I do beat myself up because I am influenced by a societal pressure to be thin. All the time. I feel it the same way anybody who picks up a magazine and sees Keira Knightley’s elegantly bony shoulder blades poking out of a backless dress does. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen my shoulder blades once. Honestly, I’m dubious that any part of my body could be so sharp and firm as to be described as a “blade.” … But my secret is: even though I wish I could be thin, and that I could have the ease of lifestyle that I associate with being thin, I don’t wish for it with all of my heart. Because my heart is reserved for way more important things.”

One of my very favorite parts of this small book though was a fictional chapter consisting of emails between her alternate self, which would be of all things a Latin teacher at a fancy prep school, and a gruff fellow teacher. Blame the hopeless romantic in me, but I could totally see this evolving love connection playing out in my mind’s eye and found myself rooting for a HEA (happily ever after) ending. Darn, it was so good that I’d pay good money to have it fleshed out into a full length sappy romance novel.

If you haven’t already read it, well what are you waiting for? Laughter is the best medicine, except for treating diarrhea, so pick up a copy and enjoy some laughs.