Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day Sentiments

We're less than half an hour away from the end of Earth Day (though a friend says that every day is Earth Day), but I wanted to mark the occasion even at this late hour.

I wrote the following last year as a potential submittal for Six Sentences, a very cool blog that puts forth the burning question, "What can you say in six sentences?". Unfortunately, I got a very kind "I'll keep this piece on file for possible inclusion on the site in the future." No luck thus far, so I figured I'd share it with you guys here.

A Mother's Burden
We are the bane of her existence. We, who with grubby hands and greedy mouths have gorged ourselves on the bounties she's laid before us. We, who with careless abandon have littered with our toys and spoils the beautiful home which she has lovingly provided. We, her children, have abused and ignored her with uncaring disregard. Yet, there she stands, resilient and patient, waiting for us, her children, to open our eyes and see the error of our ways before it's too late. Oh, poor Mother Earth, to be burdened with such scurrilous children as us.

Probably not the best thing you've read, but hopefully not the worst. No matter the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing, my hope is that we all take the sentiments behind the words to heart and take better care of the home we've been entrusted with during our fleeting time on this planet.

By the way, if you check out Six Sentences, please read Unholy Baptism by Lucile McKenzie. It's spooktacular! (I know...corny...but you'll see what I mean)