Sunday, August 9, 2009

America's Got Talent Quarterfinals - So Far, So Good

After week's of auditions and the dreaded Vegas round where we saw over 100 acts whittled down to forty by the judges, we had the first quarterfinal performances that placed the power squarely in our, the viewers, hands to vote forth the acts we deemed worthy of continuing on.

First of all, I need to get one thing off my chest...Judges, you suck! While I know the show isn't all about the talent, just like So You Think You Can Dance isn't all about the dancing, that's why those judges always say it's "America's Favorite Dancer" not "America's Best Dancer" that's chosen. But c'mon, some semblance of talent should be a determining factor on whether you make it through or not. The judges put through a little girl with a big personality but who can barely sing or play the piano, and leave in tears, pleading for a chance, a talented singer (Kelli Glover) who had a real chance of making it all the way to the finale. It boggles the mind.

Ok, now that that little rant is off my chest, I'm very happy to say that one of my favorites, Kevin Skinner, made the first cut and thanks to America's vote he will be advancing into the next round of competition. Kevin not only sounded great, but he cleaned up very nicely too. I'm looking forward to seeing performances from the next batch of 12 contestants, and also hoping that a couple of my other favorites make it through.