Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm a Dancing Fool

This Fall will be all dancing, all the time. In addition to a special first time ever Fall season of So You Think You Can Dance, I'll also have Season 9 of Dancing with the Stars to keep me on my toes. Dancing with the Stars recently announced their Season 9 celebrity and pro dancer match-ups:

- Aaron Carter and Karina Smirnoff
- Natalie Coughlin and Alec Mazo
- Mark Dacascos and Lacey Schwimmer
- Tom DeLay and Cheryl Burke
- Macy Gray and Jonathan Roberts
- Ashley Hamilton and Edyta Sliwinska
- Melissa Joan Hart and Mark Ballas
- Kathy Ireland and Tony Dovolani
- Michael Irvin and Anna Demidova
- Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough
- Chuck Liddell and Anna Trebunskaya
- Debi Mazar and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- Mya and Dmitry Chaplin
- Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel
- Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson
- Louie Vito and Chelsie Hightower

One glaring omission from the list, of course, is my favorite dancer, Julianne Hough, who supposedly is taking time off this season to focus on her music career. Julianne, you will be missed. As for the match-ups, I think one obviously mismatched couple doomed to early failure is Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel. What were the producers thinking? The kid's probably in her early to mid-20's, I can't imagine...and I could be wrong...stranger things have been known to happen...there being any kind of chemistry between the two.

I'll wait to watch the first episode before I pick my early favorites, but I will say that the couple I'm most curious to see is Tom Delay and Cheryl. We'll see if Cheryl can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with Tom, and I'm referring more to his media persona and the fact that he's going into it with a lot of detractors from the get go, and not his dancing obviously, since I've never seen him dance. She'll have to do it if she wants to take home her third mirror ball trophy.

Whatever happens, Dancing never disappoints, and it will undoubtedly be an interesting and fun season filled with fake tans, scantily clad women in sequined spandex dresses and men in too tight pants that leave little to the imagination.