Sunday, August 23, 2009

Rainy Weekend Movie Marathon

When the local weather forecaster announced rain straight through from Friday afternoon to Sunday midday, I kicked in to "planner" mode, and like a hurricane veteran preparing for an impending storm, I hit the supermarket for snacks and my local Blockbuster for some much needed entertainment. I prepared to hunker down at home and ride out the storm. Now granted, it was just rain, not a hurricane, but it was as good an excuse as any to just chill at home not doing anything. Sadly and/or gladly (depends on when you ask me), it didn't rain straight through and there were enough breaks in between to allow me to finish cleaning my patio, visit the nursery for some items for said patio, visit the library for some future reading materials and visit my dear knuckleheads(nephews). In the end, even with all the interruptions I managed to squeeze in plenty of time to watch these great, not so great, and so-so movies.

17 Again - This sweet, funny and romantic movie was great. In the movie, Mike O'Donnell (Matthew Perry) is a 30 something year old wishing to turn back the hands of time and go back to his glory days when he was 17, and before he made a life-altering decision. Mike gets that chance when he's transformed into his 17 year old self (Zac Efron) and goes back to high school. Matthew Perry is barely in this movie, this is totally Zac Efron's movie and I thought he was great. I'd never seen him in anything and I was impressed. On a side note, I don't know if this makes me a so-called 'cougar' but let me just say, Zac's soo cute. I think I have a crush. Anyway, getting back to the movie, this one's definitely a keeper. Loved it!

Knowing - Fifty years ago an elementary school class buries a time capsule. The students are urged to draw pictures of what they think the future will look like. All the kids do it, except for one little girl, Lucinda, who instead fills a page with a written sequence of numbers. Fifty years later, a current class at the same elementary school opens the capsule and each student is given an envelope with the past child's drawing, except for Caleb who gets the mysterious little girl's paper. His dad, John Koestler (Nicolas Cage), is a professor who quickly becomes intrigued with the paper when after closer inspection he realizes that the random numbers are in fact the date, number of dead, and coordinates for some of the greatest disasters in the past 50 years and supposedly more disasters are to come. Everything in this movie was great, until the end. I won't go into finer detail, because I don't want to ruin it for you guys, but let me just say WTF! were the exact words out of my mouth when I finished the movie. 'Nuff said.

Push - A group of people (conveniently all young and attractive) born with powers, including Movers, who move things with the mind, Pushers who can control and distort your thoughts, and Watchers who can foresee the future, find each other and band together to bring down the Division, a government agency that tracks them and is using a drug, which has proved mostly lethal when injected into its subjects in the past, to try to create an army of super soldiers. This one never quite did the job for me. It wasn't believable, or honestly good enough to make me suspend my disbelief. Not a total waste, but I wouldn't rush out to rent it.

New in Town - Lucy Hill (Renee Zellweger) is a big city executive sent to a small town in Minnesota to restructure a manufacturing plant with new equipment which in turn will need a smaller, scaled down workforce. It's your typical fish out of water story, with a dash of romance thrown in, in the form of Harry Connick Jr. who plays a local union rep who locks horns with Zellweger's Lucy. She's a cold fish who's quickly won over by the small town and its resident's charm, as well as by it's local hottie. The movie was cute, yet predictable. Maybe rent it when everything else on your 'must rent' list is out.