Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!

Clockwise: 12 Years a Slave, American Hustle, Gravity and Rush
I love movie award season and Hollywood stars' mad dash from one back-patting celebration to another; hence my building anticipation for the Golden Globes which air on January 12th. I’m quite literally (not really) on the edge of my seat to see who takes home a shiny golden globe, but more importantly given events in the past, to see who’s there to accept the award and not in the john (yes, Christine Lahti, I’m talking about you). Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are back for what will undoubtedly be an uproarious evening of fun and fake smiles. Last year’s opening monologue was side-splittingly hilarious without being mean, with most stars making it through unscathed, other than poor James Cameron, without facing any of the sarcastic barbs they had to endure from Ricky Gervais the previous year.

The caliber of this year’s round of fall/winter movies was truly award-worthy, so I made a point of actually going to see a ton of them, sorta making me feel like I have a rooting interest in the night’s events (though I won’t be going home with a gift basket or shiny trophy); but while the stars prep and primp all day with hair, makeup and designer gowns, as in year’s past, I will instead clean my house, pick-up snacks, printout a ballot and park myself in front of the TV to send positive vibes to all of my favorites. The Golden Globes separates itself from the Oscars in that it’s supposedly more fun (I'm sure the open bar helps), a little less stuffy, and as stated by Tina and Amy in last year’s show, it's also where the rat-faced people of television mingle with the beautiful people of film, which means I get to not only root for Robert Redford but also for James Spader aka my man Red in The Blacklist.

Below are this year’s Globe movie nominees and my personal picks for the winner in each category; not who I think will win, but who I want to win.

Best Motion Picture – Drama
"12 Years A Slave"
"Captain Phillips"
"Gravity"
"Philomena"
"Rush"

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
"American Hustle"
"Her"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"
"The Wolf Of Wall Street"

Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama
Chiwetel Ejiofor, "12 Years A Slave"
Idris Elba, "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom"
Tom Hanks, "Captain Phillips"
Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"
Robert Redford, "All Is Lost"

Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, "American Hustle"
Bruce Dern, "Nebraska"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Oscar Isaac, "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Her"

Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama
Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"
Sandra Bullock, "Gravity"
Judi Dench, "Philomena"
Emma Thompson, "Saving Mr. Banks"
Kate Winslet, "Labor Day"

Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Amy Adams, "American Hustle"
Julie Delpy, "Before Midnight"
Greta Gerwig, "Frances Ha"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Enough Said"
Meryl Streep, "August: Osage County" (Like Cameron says on Modern Family, "Meryl Streep can play Batman and be the right choice. She's perfection.")

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi, "Captain Phillips"
Daniel Bruhl, "Rush"
Bradley Cooper, "American Hustle"
Michael Fassbender, "12 Years A Slave"
Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins, "Blue Jasmine"
Jennifer Lawrence, "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years A Slave" (a travesty if she doesn't win)
Julia Roberts, "August: Osage County"
June Squibb, "Nebraska"

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron, "Gravity"
Paul Greengrass, "Captain Phillips"
Steve McQueen, "12 Years A Slave"
Alexander Payne, "Nebraska"
David O. Russell, "American Hustle"

If you're an awards buff like me, check out this Los Angeles Times page where you can cast your ballot, share your favorites with friends via Facebook and Twitter, and even print your picks. Tune in to NBC on Sunday, January 12th at 8 PM.