Friday, December 27, 2013

This, That and the Other

I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas. I took last Monday and Tuesday off from work and headed up to Connecticut early to spend some extra aunt-time with my knuckleheads. I can happily report that everyone loved their gifts (phew…what a relief!), and now after all the holiday-related distractions; shopping, wrapping, visiting, etc., I’m officially done painting the town beige and I’m ready to get back to my usual book reading, TV watching, blogging routine.

With Christmas behind me, this coming week will be much more relaxing. New Year’s Eve isn’t a big event for me so I’ll be keeping it homey and low key; a nice dinner, a good movie, and if my eyelids hold up, maybe watch the Times Square ball drop at midnight. My mom had a couple New Year’s eve traditions (superstitions) which I’ll keep alive; eat 12 grapes at the strike of midnight and wear pink undies to ring in the New Year (not sure what the origins are of either, but I’ll hedge my bets and do both in hopes of attracting some good luck in 2014).

I don’t normally do the whole New Year’s resolution thing, because like it said in a cartoon I once read, resolutions are best defined as “to do” lists for the first week of January. Nonetheless, I’m choosing to think positive and setting “goals” instead of hard-and-fast resolutions, this way I’m not too hard on myself when I ultimately flake out on one, two or all of them before January is even through. With that said, my limited 2014 goals include losing a few (or a lot) pounds, being more active, learning something new (knitting, Italian?), and helping others.

Charles Lamb said “New Year's Day is every man's birthday;” the first day of a new year and a chance to wipe the slate clean and have another go at our dreams and goals. Kept resolutions or not, I’m hoping that 2014 is a great year for all of us; filled with good health, happiness, joy, laughter, love, peace, prosperity, friends and family, and any other blessings God is willing to generously share with us. Happy New Year to each of you and remember:
Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!

- William Arthur Ward
Let's all make 2014 a great one!