Friday, April 29, 2011

Goodbye to the World's Best Boss

Last night was Steve Carell's last episode on "The Office", and we (fans) all got a chance to say goodbye to the world's best boss. Holy moly. I bawled like a baby. Like a fat, splotchy-faced, nose-running baby. It was such a wonderful send off to a dear character that we've all grown to love over the years. The tears were building throughout the episode, but the scene with Jim broke the dam. To the end, Michael was Michael, a friend, offering each of his office family members a word of his at times convoluted wisdom, but as always shared with love, because being loved was always at the root of Michael's shenanigans. A Michael Scott quote which epitomized the character, "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." How can anyone argue with that logic.

The episode wasn't the season finale, but it might as well have been. I can't imagine how this show goes on without its heart, because that is what Steve Carell was to the show. I wish Carell all the luck in the world, and above all, I wish for him an Emmy because he earned it with this episode.