Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Goodreads.com

Goodreads.com is a great new find I made through my public library’s website. It’s a free site for casual readers or book worms like me. The idea is to use the site as a large library where you can see your friends (and other members) bookshelves, their reviews, and their ratings on books. You can post your own reviews and also keep track of everything you’ve read, are currently reading, and plan to read in the future. You can even start a book club, answer trivia quizzes, read blog posts by authors, and even read exclusive interviews with current best-selling authors. They also have an “explore” tab, where you can browse lists of popular and unpopular books to find books to potentially add to your “to-read” list.

So far, I’m off to a good start. I’ve registered and have started populating my bookshelves, even if it’s only with a measly 31 books (my most recent reads). I’ll have to comb through my lousy memory banks and expand my list. I’ve also already invited some friends to join, since per the site, and I quote, “Goodreads is approximately 7 bajillion times more awesome when your friends are using it too. We have proven this. With science.” The proof is in the pudding, so we’ll see, but I’m enjoying the site already, and I’ve even found a couple books I will definitely be checking out soon.