Saturday, April 26, 2008

Britain's Got Talent

Last year, around this time, while visiting YouTube I spotted a number of videos under the "Most Viewed (Today)" tab and all the links appeared to be for the same performance. My curiosity was piqued and I decided to click on one of the links and watch the video. The video was of Paul Potts' audition on Britain's Got Talent. As soon as I watched it, I was hooked. See for yourself.



Here was this unassuming and shy cell phone salesman, bullied as a kid (I'm a sucker for a sob story) whom the judges automatically discounted just based on his appearance. He ends up wowing the judges and audience. After that first video, I tried finding others on the website for the TV station which airs the show, and was unable to view them because I was outside the UK (that's changed this year). Undeterred, I decided to follow his journey on the show, as long as it lasted, via the YouTube videos posted by British viewers. Long story short, Paul Potts went on to win Britain's Got Talent.

This year, I'm yet again following the show via YouTube videos. I already have a couple favorites - 13 year old Andrew Johnston, who totally reminds me of Paul Potts, and Scala, an all-girl electric string instrument group. Take a peek at the following videos of each of my favorites and let me know what you think. You can check out more videos at http://talent.itv.com/. Cheerio old chaps!


Andrew Johnston


Scala