Wednesday, April 23, 2008

TV Gets a Run for It's Money

My other great love, a close second behind TV, has always been books. There’s nothing like curling up on the couch and enjoying a spine tingling thriller, a runny nose and splotchy face inducing tear jerker, or even better, a smile all day, all is right with the world romance.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that in recent years books have taken a back seat to my love affair with Mr. TV. Whereas the relationship with Mr. TV was hot and steamy, my relationship with books was relegated to that with a batty old aunt which you visit every blue moon and dutifully endure the visit because you have to, after all she's your aunt.

In February, as the big 40 rolled around, I watched the movie Away from Her (a love story of a woman coping with Alzheimer’s – highly recommend it), and I became paranoid (and slightly obsessed) with the need to use my brain a little more. I read somewhere that our brain is like a muscle which needs to be used to stay in shape. Using the exercise analogy, I admitted to myself that watching Dancing with the Stars is the equivalent of doing one sit-up and calling it a day. I started doing crossword puzzles at night, I even attempted Sudoku puzzles, without much success, so I guess the deterioriation has already started. Lastly, I decided to read more.

Since February, I’ve read: The Gathering by Anne Enright, The Bonesetter's Daugher by Amy Tan, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson, Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella, An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor, Night by Elie Wiesel, 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper, and Atonement by Ian McEwan to name a few.

I'm glad to say my relationship with books is back on sure-footing and in my next post you'll find a review of some of my favorites from the previous list.