Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sweet Anticipation (Books Coming Soon)

I'm currently reading "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath, but I already have my eye out on the horizon for some potentially interesting reads which are due out soon. Here's a quick rundown:

"El Juego Del Angel" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This is number one on my list (already pre-ordered at Amazon). I've been waiting for this book from the moment I read the last page of Zafon's last book "La Sombra Del Viento" (Shadow of the Wind). Most of you won't be able to read this as soon as it comes out because it's in Spanish, but if it's anywhere near as good as his last, then I'm sure it will be on your must read list too when the English edition comes out. (Available 5/13)

"Bright Shiny Morning" by James Frey. This will be the first novel by the controversial author of "A Million Little Pieces" after the whole Oprah memoir debacle. The publisher describes it as "a sweeping chronicle of contemporary Los Angeles that is bold, exhilirating and utterly original." Will it make the list of Oprah's Favorite Things? Hmmm. Nah. (Available 5/13)

"The Horsemaster's Daughter" by Susan Wiggs. A historical romance might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a must on my summer reading list. A good romance can always cure what ails you. (Available 6/1; paperback)

"Me of Little Faith" by Lewis Black. A new book from the irreverant comic and Daily Show regular, "a ferociously funny exploration of religion and faith." (Available 6/3)

"The Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks. I'm a sap for a love story, plus I've read most of his previous books, including "The Notebook", "A Walk to Remember", "Message in a Bottle", and "The Wedding". It's sure to include more than a few Kleenex moments. (Available 9/30)