Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Favorite Movie Quotes

There are some things that stay with you long after a movie is over. Whether it be a scene, for example in "Forrest Gump" I love the shot of Forrest sitting by the water fishing with his son, the way they both tilted their head to the side just so, or it could be a song from the soundtrack. The majority of the times its a line which ends up having a life of its own, like "I'll be back" from the "Terminator" or "You talking to me?" from "Taxi Driver." Here's a countdown of my five favorites:

5. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck), To Kill a Mockingbird

4. "I know how hard it is in these times to have faith. But maybe if you could have the faith to start there, maybe the times would change. You could change them. Think about it. Try. And try not to hurt each other. There's been enough of that. It really gets in the way. I'm a God of very few words and Jerry's already given you mine. However hopeless, helpless, mixed up and scary it all gets, it can work. If you find it hard to believe in me, maybe it would help you to know that I believe in you." God (George Burns), Oh, God! (I'm dating myself by quoting this movie. This quote is a long one, that in all honesty I never remember it in its entirety, but what touches me is the gist of the message. Words to live by.)

3. "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." Andy (Tim Robbins), The Shawshank Redemption

2. "My mama always said, Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), Forrest Gump

1. "Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops." Mortimer Brewster (Cary Grant), Arsenic and Old Lace (My family members would appreciate, and totally understand, this being my number one.)