Saturday, July 5, 2008

Plenty of Sizzlin' Summer Movies Left to Enjoy

With July 4th under our belt, summer is well underway. Luckily, we still have plenty of summer and summer blockbuster movies left to look forward to including:

"The Dark Knight" (July 18th) - Looking forward to this movie for all the reasons listed in my post below. I loved the tone of Batman Begins, a little more somber and not so comic book as compared to the other Batman films, and I have no doubt Nolan will deliver once again in this sequel.

"Mamma Mia" (July 18th) - This movie adaptation of the hit Broadway musical of the same name features Meryl Streep. Need I say more. Any movie with Meryl Streep can count on having me in the audience. I love her. I think she's the best actress alive today.

"Step Brothers" (July 25th) - Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly as 40-year olds, unemployed and still living at home, who become stepbrothers. Embarassed to admit it, but I love Ferrell's stupid humor. I was disappointed with "Semi-Pro", but I'm willing to forgive and forget.

"The X-Files: I Want to Believe" (July 25th) - I was a huge X-Files fan so I can't wait to catch-up with Scully and Mulder. Plus Chris Carter--the show's director--is back in said role as well as screenwriter for the movie.

"Pineapple Express" (August 8th) - Two words--Rogen and Apatow--these guys have the midas touch when it comes to comedy, as evident from the success of "Knocked Up" and "Superbad." In the movie, Rogen plays a stoner who visits his marijuana dealer (James Franco) and unexpectedly witnesses a murder by a crooked cop and drug lord, and has to go on the run.

"Tropic Thunder" (August 15th) - The film tells the story of three self-absorbed actors filming a Vietnam war movie, who are dropped into a real-life war zone, but they think they're shooting a war movie with hidden cameras. The movie stars Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr. Ben Stiller is also directing. There are quite a few cameos in the movie, including from Tom Cruise and Tobey Maguire.

"Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (August 29th) - I'm still up in the air about this one. This is Woody Allen's latest movie, and I'm usually a big fan, but the trailer left me kinda cold. It stars Scarlett Johansson as an American tourist in Barcelona who meets an artist (Javier Bardem) and his ex-wife (Penelope Cruz), and becomes romantically entangled with the two.