Thursday, July 17, 2008

Favorite TV Theme Songs

TV theme songs are an important part of any show, after all they help set the mood for the show. For example, to this day when you hear the Twilight Zone's theme play with its famous...do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do...you know something spooky is in the works. That song is so much a part of our culture, that it's commonplace for people to do the sound effect themselves to imply something weird or creepy. A great TV theme song can also be catchy and memorable, easily bringing to mind the show they're from. I'd bet that when most people hear The WHO's "Who Are You" they automatically think of the show "C.S.I."

Sadly, you don't hear many great theme songs nowadays, so most of my favorites are older, not ancient, but not of this decade. Here's a few of my favorites, in no particular order. (I hope they don't get stuck in your head for the rest of the day. If they do...sorry!)

The Addams Family
by Vic Mizzy

They’re creepy and they’re kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They’re all together ooky,
The Addams Family.

Their house is a museum.
When people come to see ‘em
They really are a screa-um.
The Addams Family.

Cheers
Where Everybody Knows Your Name by Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo

Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
Wouldn’t you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name,
And they’re always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

You wanna go where people know, people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Greatest American Hero
Believe it or Not by Mike Post & Stephen Geyer

Look at what’s happened to me,
I can’t believe it myself.
Suddenly I’m up on top of the world,
It should’ve been somebody else.

Believe it or not, I’m walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it’s just me.

It’s like a light of a new day,
It came from out of the blue.
Breaking me out of the spell I was in,
Making all of my wishes come true.

Believe it or not, I’m walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be? Believe it or not it’s just me.

All in the Family
Those Were The Days by Lee Adams and Charles Strouse

Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made, those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn’t need no welfare state, Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.

The Jeffersons
Movin’ on Up by Jeff Barry & Janet Dubois

Well we’re movin on up, to the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up to the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don’t fry in the kitchen;
Beans don’t burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin’ just to get up that hill.
Now we’re up in the big leagues
Gettin’ our turn at bat.
As long as we live, it’s you and me baby
There ain’t nothin wrong with that.

Well we’re movin on up, to the East Side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up to the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Special mention to the great theme music from The Twilight Zone, Mission Impossible, and Hawaii Five-O.

By the way, if you want to listen to one of the above theme songs or your own particular favorite, visit one of these websites: http://www.ilovewavs.com/TV/Prime/Prime.htm and/or http://www.slackerup.com/TVThemes/index.html.