Friday, June 13, 2008

Heigl's Comment: Insult or Much Ado About Nothing?

TV Guide reported that last year's Emmy winner Katherine Heigl from ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" told the L.A. Times' Gold Derby site that she's removed her name from this year's Emmy contention. Why? Heigl said "I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination, and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention. I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials."

The way I read it, the statement was slightly presumptuous and more than a little insulting to the show's writers. I guess they felt the same way because EW.com reports that a Grey's insider stated that "It's an ungrateful slap in the face to the very writers responsible for her Emmy win in the first place."

Misspeak or insult? Big deal or media-created hoopla? I guess it will depend on what happens next. Will Heigl clarify her comments? How will Grey's producers react to those comments? We'll have to wait and see.