Monday, June 2, 2008

Soul Patrol Revisited

Yup, I'm a proud member of the Soul Patrol, the slightly irrational group of fans who helped make Taylor Hicks the Season 5 winner on "American Idol", and who have supported him ever since. I loved him from the moment I saw him perform Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" at his Las Vegas audition. He was unashamedly quirky and he had a unique sound that had never graced the American Idol pop-machine's stage before. While he was my early favorite, I never expected him to actually win it all, but like the little engine that could, he surpassed everyone's expectations maybe even his own. At the end of the season, for the first time since I'd been watching Idol, going back to Season 1, I anted up my hard-earned cash and bought a ticket to the American Idol concert tour. A little less than a year after his Idol win, I bought a ticket to see him perform at The Borgata in Atlantic City for his own tour. Now, a year later I've bought a ticket to see Taylor perform on Broadway in "Grease." Taylor will be appearing as Teen Angel, the role performed by Frankie Avalon in the 1978 hit movie. I wish Taylor luck on Broadway, and hope he can put together a great second album that truly showcases his talent and plays to his strengths. Soul Patrol!