Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh no! Say It Ain't So...Movie Snack No-nos

Yahoo! Health has provided yet another list of food no-nos, this time focused on the 6 worst things to eat at the movies. The numbers are eye-opening and worth keeping in mind before you take the theater up on the offer to bump up to a large for a quarter more. You'll be paying for it in more ways than one. Here are the scary numbers:

Large Popcorn
1,283 calories
78 g fat (49 g saturated)
1,850 mg sodium

Large Nachos with Cheese (40 chips, 4 oz.)
1,101 calories
59 g fat (18.5 g saturated)
1,580 mg sodium

Scary Tidbit #1: "This movie-time snack has more calories than two large orders of McDonald’s French fries. In fact, you’d still be saving fat and calories if you smuggled in two Quarter Pounders with Cheese instead!"

Snickers Popables (5 oz., 46 pieces)
692 calories
33 g fat (14.6 g saturated)
73 g sugars

Scary Tidbit #2: "The combined fat-load of these little popables is equal to two-and-a-half full-sized Snickers bars."

Whoppers (5 oz. box)
676 calories
24 g fat (20.3 g saturated)
88 g sugars

44 oz. Cherry Coke
572 calories
0 g fat
154 g sugars

Large Soft Pretzel with 3 oz. Nacho Cheese
643 calories
14.5 g fat (3 g saturated, 4 g trans)
3,068 mg sodium

All things in moderation seems to be the main message here. So this weekend when I'm watching "The Incredible Hulk" I'll be enjoying a small popcorn without butter, a diet soda--if I'm really good, maybe it'll be a bottled water instead--and something with chocolate--dark chocolate preferably. My standard practice is to bring the candy with me, this way I can buy the regular size bar as opposed to the King size candy bars or boxes they sell at the movies. I know myself well enough to know that if I buy the large bar, I'll eat the large bar.

Happy eating!