Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Shocking and Sad Loss for Journalism

I was at work yesterday, when I received a CNN alert email announcing that Tim Russert, the host of Meet the Press passed away at the age of 58. I was shocked and saddened by the too early demise of this great journalist. I watched Meet the Press almost every Sunday. It was appointment television for me, and Tim Russert made it so, no easy feat for a political news show. Though I was sometimes annoyed by his interviewing tactics, his gotcha moments when he'd pull out a long-lost quote which contradicted the guest's current statements, I was always impressed by how prepared and knowledgeable he was. Tim is due our thanks for having informed us about the things that matter--our government, our economy, our educational system, issues of war and peace and so much more. While his loss will definitely be felt by the show's fans, I can't imagine the immesurable sense of loss felt today by his family and friends. My prayers go out to his family and friends, that God may bring them peace and comfort. May Tim rest in peace.