Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Eagerly Anticipating the New & Improved Bruce Banner

Like the majority of the movie-going public, this weekend I'll be buying my movie ticket to see "The Incredible Hulk," mainly for the opportunity to see Ed Norton. Ed Norton is one of the best actors of his generation, so I'm interested to see what he does with the role of tormented scientist Bruce Banner. Part of what made the TV series great was the wonderful performance by Bill Bixby as the solitary figure of Dr. David Banner, traveling from town to town searching for a cure, and helping the people he met along the way. Bixby always managed to convey an aura of sadness and solitude to the character, which made you buy into the story and care for both Banner and his alter ego, the Hulk. Given his incredible talent and layered performances in such diverse films as "American History X," "Fight Club", and "The Painted Veil" to name a few, I'm sure Ed Norton has the acting chops to bring some depth and substance to the role and make the movie more than your typical blow'em up, shoot'em up superhero action movie.

As for the special effects, I have no doubt that given today's technology they'll be phenomenal, my only complaint (which might change once I've seen the movie) is that I would've preferred if the Hulk wasn't a digitally created creature but if instead it was portrayed by an actor, a very large actor - maybe one of those American Gladiator guys, like they did in the TV series with Lou Ferrigno playing the Hulk. I don't know, maybe that's too hokey for 2008. Anyway, I'll definitely be there for this one, and after I'll let you know what I thought.