Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Fair Lady Remake..."Wouldn't it be loverly?"

TVGuide.com reports that Keira Knightley is in talks to reprise the role of Eliza Doolittle in a remake of "My Fair Lady." EW.com also reported that "The project is being described as an update, though it will use the musical's original score and retain its 1912 setting." I like Keira Knightley and feel she does well in period pieces such as her role in "Pride and Prejudice", but 1) I'm uncertain as to how she'd do in this particular movie/musical, 2) I'm not sure they should mess with this classic, and 3) I'm disappointed with Hollywood's apparent inability to come up with a new idea. Most of the movies you see in the theater now are either remakes or sequels...War of the Worlds, Spiderman, Indiana Jones, Rambo, Rocky, heck even Beverly Hills Cop is coming back for a fourth movie.

As for this remake, I think the success will depend in large part on the casting of both leads, Eliza Doolittle and Professor Henry Higgins, given that one of the best parts of the classic with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison was the witty dialogue and banter between the two main characters.

In all honesty though, I can't help but think that the remake and in turn Keira Knightley will pale in comparison to the 1964 classic and the brilliant and beautiful Audrey Hepburn. She truly was "loverly". Enjoy this clip!