Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Young@Heart Chorus at Beacon Theater

I'm so excited! Today I got tickets to see the Young@Heart Chorus perform at the Beacon Theater on June 22nd. As you guys might recall, back in April I offered up a review of "Young@Heart," a documentary movie centered around the Young@Heart Chorus from Northampton, MA. For those of you who haven't heard of the movie or the chorus, what makes this group special is that chorus members ages range from 72 to 88 and what makes them unique are their contemporary song choices which range from Talking Heads to Coldplay, but it's their spirit and joy for life which transcends the music. The day I saw the movie, I was so moved by what I had seen that I rushed home to check the chorus' website for potential tour dates in hopes that they'd be performing near me. Unfortunately, at that time they had no dates scheduled, but word of mouth on this compelling group must have spread because since then they've booked various events including this performance at the Beacon Theater. For those of you interested, here's a movie clip featuring a moving performance by chorus member Fred Knittle.


By the way, the syncopated beat heard in the music's background is the sound of Fred's oxygen machine.