Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ronald's Metamorphosis

The other day I was chatting with a friend and co-worker about “Enchanted” and his little daughter’s newfound adoration of Patrick Dempsey’s Prince Charming-esque role in that film. The conversation automatically drew my wandering mind back to Patrick’s all-time best leading role in “Can’t Buy Me Love.” Who could forget Ronald or the final scene as Ronald and Cindy ride off into the sunset on his lawn mower? How had it happened I asked myself? How had my Ronald, the lawn-mowing nerd that had to pay Cindy, the popular cheerleader, to be his girlfriend so he could get into the in-crowd become this generation’s Dr. McDreamy? What a metamorphosis! Like fine wines, some people age well, and Patrick Dempsey is definitely one of those people. Of course, this revelation had me running to my old photo albums looking for any slight changes in myself. To be honest, I haven't noticed any changes, yet, but I’m hoping maybe by the time I’m 80 I’ll be absolutely stunning.

For those of you who have known Patrick Dempsey only as Dr. McDreamy, here’s a photo of him as I best remember him, when he was still Ronald, and the new sleeker model.